From the time my wife Ashley and I first started dating, we have loved watching movies together. The shared experience of a movie can create inside jokes and catchphrases that can help add some fun into your relationship. Even today, curling up on the couch with some popcorn and Netflix remains one of our favorite “dates.”
Every couple has a different list of must-see movies, but below are a few I would highly recommend. They’re not all from one genre, so if you watch them all, you’ll laugh, you’ll cry and you’ll learn something new. I’d encourage out to carve out a movie date night at home once a week for the next ten weeks and work your way through this list.
Just as a disclaimer, this list doesn’t mean I’m endorsing all the content in these films. Nearly every movie is going to have some words or scenes that I wish had been left out.
In no particular order…
1. The Princess Bride. This movie is classic. I mean it has Andre the Giant in it, so what more do you really need? You’ll laugh a lot and you’ll be talking in fun accents and using catchphrases like, “As you wish,” “Inconceivable!” “Rodents of Unusual size” and many more. Great date night movie.
2. The Wedding Singer. Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore have brilliant comedic timing and a believable on-screen chemistry in several movies, but “The Wedding Singer” shows them at the top of their game. This throwback to the 1980′s has plenty of comedy, but it also has heart.
3. Goonies. Ashley and I both grew up on the 80′s, so it’s tons of fun to go back and watch movies from our childhood together. Goonies is one of my personal favorites. You’ve got pirate treasure, booby traps and “Chunk” doing the “Truffle Shuffle!” Classic.
4. Rocky. As a dude, I love all seventy-three movies in the Rocky franchise. I even love the most recent, “Rocky fights Arthritis!” The original 1976 Academy-Award winner for Best Picture has both a beautiful love story between Rocky and Adrian and one of the best underdog fighter stories of all time. Watch it with your spouse. You’ll both like it. Seriously.
5. Tommy Boy. Before the tragic demise of comic genius, Chris Farley, he created some brilliant comedy and this movie is his greatest work. It has a sweet and sentimental storyline to go along with some hysterical physical comedy. You’ll laugh a lot and you might even tear up a few times.
6. Raiders of the Lost Ark. The first of the Indiana Jones franchise has it all. You’ve got a love story, action, adventure, the hunt for a real-life sacred artifact, comedy, and two hours of non-stop entertainment. A great date night movie to add to your list!
7. The Hunger Games. These sci-fi, action-adventure, romance movies can’t really be categorized, but this franchise has it all. There’s a complicated love story and non-stop plot twists. You’ll be entertained the whole time, and it might lead to some great conversations about how you two, as a couple, would respond if placed into the storyline of the movie. Some additional great “battle” movies I’d recommend are Braveheart and Gladiator.
8. Forrest Gump. This classic movie is Tom Hanks at his very best. The story will carry you through decades of world history plus an unorthodox love story between Forrest and Jenny. The movie hits the full spectrum of human emotions and will inevitably lead to some great conversations afterwards.
9. Frozen. I had to throw one animated movie on the list, and Frozen will keep you singing for months afterwards. Even if you don’t have kids, watch this movie together. The plot twist in the love story will also give you something interesting to talk about in between songs.
10. Fireproof. This movie started a new generation of Christian films and many married couples have credited this movie and the accompanying “The Love Dare” book with strengthening or even saving their marriages. The movie is entertaining and it also has some very practical insights into what makes a strong and healthy marriage.
So, what are you waiting for? Schedule some movie nights and get ready to snuggle up on the couch and enjoy!
Check out Married, an online experience for couples. This video series will provide a ton of insight and advice on ways to strengthen and enrich your marriage. Hear from the experts and apply it your marriage today.